My Transition to a Full Time Blogger: The First 3 Months

transition to full time blogger fashion blog

Transition to a Full Time Blogger

Today I wanted to do a different type of post and share with you something a bit more personal. In mid-July of this year, I quit my job in advertising to become a full time blogger. If you had asked me even 6 months ago if I would ever have considered being a full time blogger, the answer would have been a flat out NO. After graduating college, I jumped straight into advertising at a large global agency. I had a clear career path laid out for myself – become a supervisor by 27, ย Account Director by 30, and VP by 40. Not only did I love advertising, I was good at it, and I felt like the job was meant for me. Even though the hours were long (9AM – 7PM was considered a good day) and the clients demanding, I loved my job and the people I worked with.

This all changed this April when I started at a new ad agency as an Account Supervisor. I was ecstatic at the opportunity and my salary was the highest it had ever been. Unfortunately, things went downhill pretty quickly. At the new agency, my thoughts were not respected. I even had to deal with an insubordinate direct report, which was not a problem I ever imagined I would have. I didn’t click with the people or the culture of the agency. Worst of all, for the first time in my life I felt like I was bad at my job. I dreaded going to work everyday, and started to question whether advertising was right for me at all.

transition to full time blogger fashion blogAt the same time, in July I attended an Influencer Showcase where I got to network with brands and speak to other influencers about going full-time. After the night ended, something clicked in my head, and the path was clear to me. I knew at that moment I needed to pursue what I’ve always loved: fashion and my blog. I decided it wasn’t worth suffering any longer in a job that was killing me day by day.

So the question I get from a lot of people is was my blog picking up so much that I could afford to made the transition? Definitely not.ย When I decided to quit, I had 400 followers on Instagram, less than 500 pageviews per month, and had never made a cent in blogging. I also didn’t blog regularly, only posted once a week when I had time, and did absolutely no promoting of my blog on social channels. I quit because I hated my job and it was the right time for me from a personal standpoint. I have no familial obligations and am still young, so it was now or never. I also have the money saved up to float me for one year to pursue full-time blogging without making income.

First 3 Months as a Full Time Bloggertransition to full time blogger style first 3 months

Since quitting my job and becoming a full time blogger, I can honestly say it is a dream come true. I have never been happier in my life or felt so fulfilled in what I’m doing everyday. The past 3 months have been amazing. I’ve met so many great bloggers whom I’ve formed relationships with, went to NYFW for the first time, and most importantly have seen steady growth on my blog. I’m now up to 3,840 followers on Instagram, 1,700 unique visitors per month, and have built up my FB, Twitter, and Pinterest followings from 0. It’s not huge, but it’s progress, and the most important thing for me is that I’m working as hard as I can and putting 110% into my blog. I’ve even started to make some money here and there, but no where close to being able to support myself financially. But right now my focus is building up my audience and continuing to hone my blog’s brand and tone of voice.

transition to full time blogger style blogAnother question I get from people is what I do on a day-to-day basis, and how do I manage my time? Since I’m fan of to-do lists, below is what a typical day looks like for me:

• 8AM: Wake up, either go the gym or jump straight into work (I gym 3 times a week)
  • 9:30AM: Coffee, check Google Analytics, blog comments, and progress on all social channels
  • 10:ooAM: Write today’s post or edit photos for tomorrow’s post (I post 3 times a week on MWF). I try to edit my photos the day prior to the post going up so I don’t feel overwhelmed on post day.
    • Preparing a post usually takes about 2-3 hours, including photo editing, SEO research & implementation, writing the post, and linking all items.
  • 12PM: Post is usually up by now. I spend the next 2 hours promoting my post on FB, Twitter & Pinterest. I create different sized images for each platform based on best practices. I schedule 2 FB posts per day & 5 Twitter posts using Hootsuite, as well as 5-10 Pinterest posts using Boardbooster. I also submit my links to multiple FB groups to drive additional traffic.
  • 1PM: Make lunch – usually a salad or sandwich.
  • 2PM-4PM: I use this time to take flatlays, respond to emails, pitch to brands, plan out content, strategize tactics, and occasionally watch webinars.
  • 4pM: Instagram time! I prepare for Instagram posts (I post twice a day at 5PM and 9PM/10PM) and engage in liking & commenting.
  • 5PM: My favorite time of day – posting on Instagram! I know, I’m such a geek.
  • Post 5PM: Some nights I have blogger/brand events, so this is usually when I would start getting ready. If no event, I’ll spend more time on social media, make dinner and relax by watching a show, and then go back to social media and catch up on all my FB groups.

Some days are more fun and filled with previews/showroom appointments/blogger meet-ups, but most days are spent in my apt working at my kitchen table. Once a week I go to a coffee shop and work from there to get out of the house.

transition to full time blogger first 3 months

I’ve found what really works is to stick to a schedule and set certain days/times for certain tasks. In the beginning I felt so overwhelmed with everything I needed to do, but as I got into the flow of things I was able to establish a routine for myself and better manage my tasks. Now I’m always doing something blog related, even on the weekends (take outfit photos, prepare my Sunday email, edit photos for Monday’s post, weekend Instagram posts, etc).

I hope you’ve enjoyed this little slice into my life. Let me if you have any questions or thoughts in the comments below!

Follow me on Bloglovin’ and never miss a post:

63 responses to “My Transition to a Full Time Blogger: The First 3 Months”

1. Karen says:

You really inspired me! I want to become a full-time blogger but right now, it’s not an option for me. Bit my doors are still open! I’d like to focus on my blog after work and I’m happy just seeing the progress of my blog. Congratulations! I’m happy for you โค๏ธ I’m glad I read your post. Just keep going, you’ll reach your goals someday!

• layersofchic@gmail.com says:

thank you so much Karen, to glad to hear you felt inspired by the post!

2. Ellie says:

Huge congratulations Mary!! That is such fantastic news! Can’t wait to read all your new content. This is hugely inspiring for me and my blogging!

Ellie

3. Brandi Gomez says:

Love this post and your photos! Congrats to you on taking the risk!

4. Inspiring!!! I love that you broke down your daily schedule and added what apps/services you use to implement some of your strategies. Can’t wait for all that’s to come!!

Xo,

Lourdes

5. Amber says:

This is truly inspiring girl thanks for sharing! I have really been considering going to blogging full time. The schedule you created really helps to see what a typical day looks like. It sounds like you made a great decision and are following your dreams. #girlboss

Xoxo

• layersofchic@gmail.com says:

thank you so much Amber, i’m so glad you found it helpful!

6. I love hearing how people have made the transition since I hope to one day too. Thanks for a peak into your life!

7. Zarrin Alam says:

I love this story! There’s no rule out there that says you have to continue doing something you hate. I’m glad you found time to devote to your blog and it’s making the progess you want to see! I feel like you’d be a perfect fit for theladygang.com!

• layersofchic@gmail.com says:

thank you so much Zarrin! I would love to hear more about the theladygang!

8. Dominiqu says:

WHOA! I am so proud of you and I don’t even know you! You are living my dream!

I live in Canada’s capital and I feel there isn’t enough opportunity here to blog full-time. I want to so badly. My blog does really well, but it’s success has been hard to manage with my boring government job. I dream constantly about quitting to focus more on my blogging passion.

I would love for you to do a post on SEO research. That would be so great!

Congratulations!!

• layersofchic@gmail.com says:

thank you so much Dominique! I am going to start doing series on blogging tips and SEO will definitely be one of them, so stay tuned! It really is hard to manage a growing blog with a full-time job, so I totally hear you. keep pushing through and I hope you will be able to pursue it full-time one day!

9. Jen says:

Good for you! Blogging can be a struggle but I AMA so happy and proud of you for going for it! Your doing amazing and I’m looking forward to watching you grow as a blogger and business! Well done!

10. Lindsey Lutz says:

I am SO SO proud of you!!!! This is a dream for so many of us, and you jumped in feet first. You are an inspiration, and I cannot wait to watch you grow!

• layersofchic@gmail.com says:

thanks so much Lindsey, I love your blog and it is so inspiring to me too!

11. wow this is so great mary ! i did not know that you do that full time and i think thats great! xx toby http://www.poshandspicy.com

• layersofchic@gmail.com says:

thanks so much Toby, so glad we got to meet on Wednesday!

Loved this post so much! You already know I’m in a similar position and this inspires me even more! Your growth has been amazing and you are one of my favorite bloggers to come to for outfit inspiration. Keep doing what your doing and your dream will come true <3

• layersofchic@gmail.com says:

aww thanks so much Lizzie, I hope you will be doing the same soon! xoxo

13. Kim says:

Sounds like my life right about now! I am a full-time content creator and virtual manager, and boy oh boy do I love it! It’s hard work, but it’s so worth it. I love that your schedule is so streamlined!

• layersofchic@gmail.com says:

yes, it is hard work but I love every second of it! thanks so much for stopping by Kim!

14. Anna says:

Congrats on taking the risk!! It sounds like you got it all down to a T! You’ve inspired me to be a little bit more organized, LOL. I blog full time too but I don’t really have a set schedule like you do. Thanks for sharing this! You’re doing amazing! XO ~Anna http://www.pepperedinstyle.com

• layersofchic@gmail.com says:

thanks so much Anna! Haha I try and stay organized but everyone has their own way of working!

15. Chloe says:

Really love this post! Super inspiring! I feel so stuck at my job that I dread. ๐Ÿ™ Hoping to transition into blogging full-time too! That would be such an amazing job to have! Super happy for you! xo, Chloe

• layersofchic@gmail.com says:

I hope you transition as well! It is the worst to be in a job you don’t enjoy. Feel free to shoot me an email with any additional questions you might have!

16. This was so interesting to me! I loved reading your routine and it seems like you have such a great awareness of where you are going and where you want to be, it’s so inspiring! Just come across your blog and I adore it! ๐Ÿ˜€ xx

elizabeth โ™ก โ€Ice Creamโ€ whispers Clara
    (lets follow each other on bloglovin or instagram tempting Too Faced Gingerbread giveaway!)

• layersofchic@gmail.com says:

thank you so much Elizabeth, you are so sweet! glad to hear my routine was helpful and interesting, and not too boring to read!

17. Tysne says:

Congratulations on your new journey! I look forward to seeing your progress in the upcoming months. I started mine in September and have similar analytics. Keep up the good work!

• layersofchic@gmail.com says:

thank so much for your support Tysne, and congrats on starting your blog too!

18. Anca says:

You are the first blogger I have come across that actually details on this subject. A good read! I’m in between jobs now and have been working on my blog and social media non-stop now. It is great! Wish you all the good luck ๐Ÿ™‚

Anca,

• layersofchic@gmail.com says:

thank you so much Anca! glad that you found it helpful, i am literally always on social media these days!

19. Jami Ray says:

What an exciting leap! You are rocking it!

20. I’ve been wanting to devote my time to being a full time blogger, I’m so apprehensive and loved this post as I need that push to take the leap and stick with it.

• layersofchic@gmail.com says:

yes!! I definitely believe in taking the leap and it’s worked for me so far. thanks so much for stopping by Holly!

21. Heather says:

Thank you for sharing your story! It’s very encouraging to know that is possible to quite your full time job! Glad to hear that you are loving it!

• layersofchic@gmail.com says:

thanks so much Heather, glad to hear it is encouraging!

22. April says:

Thank you for sharing your story! You are so brave to listen to your heart and do what makes you happy. I wish you long-term success!

23. Jenny says:

How fun! I never thought I’d be self employed either but I am so excited about it. ๐Ÿ™‚

• layersofchic@gmail.com says:

thanks so much Jenny! I never thought I would be self employed either but now that I am I love it!

24. Tina Pik says:

A very inspiring read – I’ve considered quitting my full-time job many times but the financial security of it just gets me every time. Well done on growing your social media following exponentially over a short period of 3 months. You have a beautiful blog and your Instagram feed looks stunning!

• layersofchic@gmail.com says:

thank you so much Tina! The financial aspect is definitely important, you want to feel secure before you take the leap!

25. Dani says:

Great tips! I started my blog in January & quit my teaching job in June to pursue my blog full-time. I am more of a night owl, so I usually run errands, do my blog shopping during the day & spend the evening working on my blog. I also post 3-4 times as week. Such an inspiring post to get me on more of a schedule! Thanks so much for sharing & best of luck! xo
    Dani // http://www.daniellealexandra.com

• layersofchic@gmail.com says:

thanks so much Dani! So interesting to hear another full time blogger’s routine!

26. Daniel says:

You look so beautiful!

Daniel x

The Daniel Originals | Instagram: danielpoonvignez

New Post: 2 Ways To Style Denim Jacket This Fall

27. Leigh says:

I loved this post so much!! Thank you for being so open and honest with what bloggers do all day. Also this is the best inspiration for people looking to get into blogging and for bloggers like me to get more organized and serious about blogging. You are a true inspiration! xo

Leigh

28. Journous says:

Thanks for sharing. That’s a great breakdown of your day. Sometimes it’s very hard to figure out what needs to be done during the day, but with a plan set in motion, things become very easy and efficient.

29. Congrats! Can’t wait to watch you grown.

30. You go girl!! I am transitioning to a full time blogger myself. ๐Ÿ™‚ Keep it up!

31. Camille says:

Congrats and thanks for sharing your journey. I am sure you will get where you want to be soon ๐Ÿ™‚

32. Tyler says:

I love that you shared your journey. I’m currently a student in college and I’m so confused whether I should dedicate 110% to my blog or focus on a future career. My heart is telling me focus on the blog. This post really inspired me to follow my heart. Thanks for sharing and keep up the good work! <3

33. Zorica says:

Such an inspirational post
    Congrats and keep on going on..
    xx

34. I really hope this will become a real job for you, even in the economic way! Wish you the best!

35. Melissa Chee says:

Wow! That’s so amazing… you are just doing it! So cool. ๐Ÿ™‚

36. Jenna says:

Dang girl! That took guts!! Go you!

37. Ann says:

Ohmygod! you are such a strong person! I also wanted to be a full time blogger, but a lot of things I’m worried about, financial, and so on and so forth. I’m a risk taker but i always wait for the right time. I know there’s no such thing as right time, it’s now or never. I hope i can follow your footsteps soon and do what i really love blogging and fashion, hopefully next years. You really inspired me with your post.

• layersofchic@gmail.com says:

thank you so much Ann! I’m so glad you found it helpful, and I hope you continue to pursue your passion too! Feel free to shoot me an email with any additional questions or thoughts!