Normal People Scare Me: Graphic Sweatshirt with Attitude

layersofchic normal people scare me graphic sweatshirt style bloglayersofchic normal people scare me graphic sweatshirt blogger stylelayersofchic normal people scare me graphic sweatshirt fashion blog

When I saw this sweatshirt on the SheIn website, it immediately spoke to me. I’ve never thought of myself as “normal” because of my background, personality and approach to life. I moved to the US from China when I was 7 with my Mom who had just gotten divorced from my Dad. Before that, I had never actually lived with both my parents under one roof. My parents worked in Hong Kong and I lived in mainland China with my grandparents. So when my parents got divorced, it didn’t seem strange to me because I never had that family Mom and Dad dynamic anyways. Growing up in the US, my Mom was the classic tiger Mom, so my days were spent studying, figure skating, and playing tennis. Basically anything that would get me into a good college. I didn’t really have a social life or go out with friends, in fact I never even tasted alcohol until college! My point is that I did not have a “normal” upbringing, and that’s OK because it’s made me who I am today.layersofchic normal people scare me graphic sweatshirt oliver bilou baglayersofchic normal people scare me graphic sweatshirt blogger outfit

I’ve always been the type of person who’s in my own head most of the time. Meeting new people stresses me out and I only have a handful of people in my life that I would call real friends. Until I started blogging, I never felt like I really belonged anywhere. My style is also not normal, it’s quirky and eclectic and unconventional, like me. My personality is challenging: I have narcissist tendencies, I am a workaholic, and it is hard for me to give up what I want for someone else. My ambition is the best and worst part about me, but I love the way I am (I know, that’s what a narcissist would say right?!). And get this, I’m drawn to other people who aren’t “normal”. In relationships, I look for people with baggage or solitary personalities. At the end of the day, I think it’s our flaws and quirks that make us interesting, and I would never trade my life for a cookie-cutter type of life. I’m old enough to realize that my past is what defines me and gives me the drive to become successful at anything I put my mind to doing. So long story short, for me “normal” is boring. Why be normal when you can be exceptional?

layersofchic normal people scare me graphic sweatshirt SheInlayersofchic normal people scare me graphic sweatshirt outfit

So now that I’ve word vomited my entire life to you guys, onto the actual outfit. I paired the sweatshirt with a fishtail skirt to contrast against the loose shape of the sweatshirt and give the outfit a more feminine vibe. I love matchy-matchy looks, so of course I had to wear my burgundy lace-up heels that are the exact same color as the sweater. I like that the shoes are a completely different style from the sweatshirt but the same color, it’s an interesting play of contradictions. For my accessories, I went with my new Oliver Bilou handbag with rose gold lining. I’m obsessed with the rose gold tassel and quilted material on the side of the bag, it’s the details that make a piece special. You can get 10% off the bag with code mary. I completed the look with a thin choker and various gold and rose gold bracelets and rings.

layersofchic normal people scare me graphic sweatshirt rose gold tassel baglayersofchic normal people scare me graphic sweatshirt fishtail skirt

Sweatshirt: SheIn
Skirt: Dezzal
Shoes: Poetic Licence
Bag: Oliver Bilou (10% off with code “mary)
Jewelry: Thomas Sabo Rose Gold Ring & Bracelet

*This post is in collaboration with SheIn. As always, all views and opinions expressed are my own.

Follow me on Bloglovin’ and never miss a post:

29 responses to “Normal People Scare Me: Graphic Sweatshirt with Attitude”

1. Latisha says:

I really get this! My parents split when I was very young & I didn’t have my first drink of alcohol until I was out of college! I was always very dedicated to tennis growing up, that’s what I focused ALL of my time on! I wouldn’t have it any other way though! Normal is just too boring, I love how you said why be normal when you can be exceptional! It’s perfectly said! Great look girly!
    XO-L

2. This is such a fun look, I love your shirt it reminds me of American Horror Story
    xo

3. Julie says:

Normal people scare me too! HAH love love love this sweatshirt! so cute love the way you have styled it!

Julie | https://scorseofstyles.com/

4. Jessica Lam says:

I love how honest you are Mary! The sweatshirt is adorable and so is this outfit!

5. Kate says:

This looks like the American Horror Story font! Meeting new people stresses me out too and I can relate to having a challenging personality. So let’s be exceptional ay! Love how you’ve styled it.
    Kate || http://www.katerattley.com

6. Allison says:

I love this look! I also love that you paired it with a skirt-so fun!

7. toby says:

that skirt mary is so up my spead! i love it! xx toby

8. toby says:

i adore this skirt mary! love the whole look as always xx toby

9. Victoria Schneider says:

SO true. I really feel like there is no such thing as normal. Normal people are all just faking it.
    Love you outfit.
    Victoria | http://www.thesoutherntrunk.com

10. Anna says:

I loved reading this, Mary!! While I do live what most people would describe a cookie cutter life, I myself am not cookie cutter or normal. Because of this its also hard to find good friends, so in a way I can relate. I LOVE LOVE how you styled the sweatshirt! The red shoes over the tights are everything!! Love it! Xo ~Anna http://www.pepperedinstyle.com

11. sally says:

You look SOOO cute! I love how your paired this casual sweatshirt with the fishtail skirt. The bag and shoes totally elevate the look to a whole other level! (and normal is boring– I agree that it’s the quirks that make people and life interesting!

12. Leah Lowe says:

Loving the ruffle hem on this skirt, such a cute detail!

x – Leah

13. Willow says:

First of all, the title drew me to your site, because I don’t consider myself normal. Second, I love the outfit! And last, your personality sounds a lot like mine. I have a hard time giving up things for other people as well, especially since I figured out what I want, and how to make myself happy.

14. What an adorable sweater!

Maria | http://finastyleblog.com

15. Cheryl says:

I love this top! It’s saying what I think most of the time.

16. rachel says:

First of all — i LOVE this shirt. Second? Your style is absolutely AWESOME.

17. Quirks are definitely what make people interesting. Love that sweater!

18. Alix Maza says:

This sweatshirt is adorable! Love it with those shoes.

Alix | http://www.apintsizedlifeblog.com

19. Loving that skirt, so feminine and chic!

20. Love this shirt! I’m a firm believer in being weird and being okay with it! Being normal is life’s version of blah and vanilla.

xx,

Lacey
    www,theglittergospelblog.com

21. jessica says:

great sweatshirt and what a fun outfit!

Holyyyyy cow. When you started talking about your personality, I felt like I was reading about myself. Every…single…word. I think that’s probably why blogging works well. I’m curious, are you an INFJ personality type? I can’t do normal either. I make it a point to go against what is considered normal haha! And by the way, I love your skirt!

23. Brooke says:

Normal is boring!! Love the sweatshirt.

Brooke
    pumps and push-ups

24. ivana says:

Great way to style the hoodie, i am loving this look, and pop of red is incredible xo

25. I really enjoy visiting your blog! You are just so stunning to behold but your message is what really touches me! I look forward to meeting you one day in person! I love this outfit too!
    xo Debbie | http://www.tothineownstylebetrue.com

• layersofchic@gmail.com says:

thank you so much Debbie! I’m so glad to hear you enjoy my blog and content, and hopefully we’ll meet soon!!

26. This top and those shoes!! Amazing pairing! I love the bright red for spring! XO