How to Dress Like a 1950’s Housewife

layersofchic how to dress 1950s housewife vintage style bloglayersofchic how to dress 1950s housewife darling style

One of my favorite style icons is Betty Draper from Mad Men. She’s the epitome of 1950’s housewife glam, so as a continuation of the vintage style series I channeled my inner Betty Draper for today’s 1950’s outfit. I’ve always enjoyed 1950’s fashion, from the big circle skirts to the dainty purses and gloves. I think it is one of the decades when women were the most feminine, and always left the house looking put together. However my appreciation for the 1950’s stops at the fashion. The idea of being a housewife is something that I would never want, even if I had a rich husband who could support me. My work is my passion and the reason I get up in the morning, plus I really hate household chores and I’m pretty bad at them. But I do love dressing like a 1950’s housewife and feeling like such a lady!

layersofchic how to dress 1950s housewife style betty draperlayersofchic how to dress 1950s housewife vintage blog

How to Dress Like a 1950’s Housewife

• The Circle Skirt Dress: The key to nailing the 1950’s housewife look is getting a dress with the right silhouette. The 1950’s were iconic for circle skirts, so look for a dress with a fitted waist and a flared out voluminous skirt. From a prints standpoint, polka dots and floral were big, so I chose a floral bumble bee dress from Gamiss that was perfect for the occasion. I love the sweetheart neckline on this dress as it gives it an extra feminine vintage vibe. A secret style hack: the skirt on this dress did not come as voluminous as it looks in the photos. I actually layered an extra poufy skirt under the dress to achieve that circle skirt look.
  • The Gloves: Gloves were the key accessory for the 1950’s housewife, so you cannot achieve a proper 1950’s outfit without them! Look for dainty gloves in leather or silk with feminine details. I wore my vintage navy leather gloves with pearl embellishments.
  • The Bag and Shoes: If you don’t have a vintage bag or shoes, no need to fret. For the bag, just choose a bag that is small and structured in shape. My bag is vintage and I decided to go with a navy one to match my gloves. For your shoes, all you need are a pair of pointy toe pumps. I completed my outfit with a vintage pair that happens to also have a sweetheart shape similar to the neckline of the dress. As always, it’s all in the details!

layersofchic how to dress 1950s housewife vintage handbag layersofchic how to dress 1950s housewife feminine stylelayersofchic how to dress 1950s housewife vintage floral dresslayersofchic how to dress 1950s housewife vintage style dress

To really complete the look and add that extra feminine touch, the right jewelry definitely makes a difference. Pearls were a necessity for the 1950’s housewife, so go with a pearl necklace or pearl earrings. I decided to wear my vintage pearl collar to fit with the sweetheart neckline. For my earrings, in true vintage fashion, I went with clip-on floral earrings to match the floral print of the dress. My final touches were a vintage floral bangle and pink mirror sunglasses to invoke that retro glam vibe.

layersofchic how to dress 1950s housewife stylelayersofchic how to dress 1950s housewife vintage gloves layersofchic how to dress 1950s housewife blogger style

For more vintage inspiration, check out my post on how to dress like the 1960’s. Hope everyone has a fabulous weekend!

Dress: Gamiss
Shoes: Vintage (similar here)
Bag: Vintage (similar here)
Gloves: Vintage (similar here)
Sunglasses: The 5TH (10% off with code layersofchic)
Pearl Collar: Vintage (similar here
Earrings: Vintage (similar here)
Bangle: Vintage (similar here)

*This post is in collaboration with Gamiss. As always, all views and opinions expressed are my own.

Photography: CaiteeSmith Photography

27 responses to “How to Dress Like a 1950’s Housewife”

1. You’ve got your own style and you own it! Love the confidence and color!

2. Emily says:

I love this post! I’ve always been drawn to this type of look, so feminine and classy! You covered all the aspects that really make a difference on it!
    Emily

3. I love the fashion from the 50s. Circle skirt dresses are definitely a style I go for when looking at dresses. I love this floral bumble bee dress that you have!

4. Crystal says:

This was such a fun post to read! Love the dresses!!!!

5. Ok how to dress like a 1950s housewife? That is so awesome and so funny! lol I love it and the print on your dress is gorgeous.

6. Liv says:

Love the retro vibe!

Liv

livforstyle.net

7. Julie says:

OMG!!! I adore this look! I love how trends can come and go and we can always pull from the archives and take on an entirely new character just from changing our clothes!!!
    Julie | https://scorseofstyles.com/

8. Such a cute dress & I love your inspiration!! Xx

anaprodanovich.com

9. Girl I love your vintage style, I feel like we would hit it off! We both love vintage
    xo

10. Stacey says:

I love this classy style and I’m completely obsessed with the collar necklace! It’s so dainty and lady-like…loveeee!

11. What a fun post!!! I love this outfit!

12. I love 1950’s fashion and you did a great job creating this look with some modern details. I especially like the added collar statement piece. Very cute!

xo Jannine | http://www.happystylishfit.com

13. Kelly says:

Love that 1950’s look! Such pretty patterns & I adore the delicate details! Great post!

14. Jenna says:

This was definitely a golden age of fashion! I could definitely see myself living in that fashion era. Thanks for sharing such a great inspired look.

Cheers, J

15. ashley says:

:ove the cute bees!! This look is so classically beautiful.

16. Raine says:

That bumble bee dress is so cute, and perfect for spring, too! I think that it was a great idea to add the extra volume to the skirt. It really gives it that 50s flair!

17. I LOVE LOVE LOVE that dress!! From the flowers to the bees and the poofy skirt- so cute and you nailed the 50s. Also, that’s a super creative hack for the skirt. I never would have guessed!

18. ANdi says:

This DRESS IS FAB FAB FAB! I absolutely adore this post and Betty Draper forever!

Thanks for sharing lovely lady!

xoxo,
    Andi

19. Absolutely gorgeous! I’ve always wanted to rock the 50’s look! You pull it off perfectly.

xoxo
    Naomi

20. Mira says:

So much win! The gloves, the collar, all perfect!

21. Chelsea says:

OMG! That one pic of you with your hair blowing is phenomenal!!! For some reason I have an odd obsession with fashion from different decades. SO fun. LOVE this post.

This really is such a cute look on you! Love it!

Lauren

23. Lisa Autumn says:

Stunning as always girl!

xx Lisa | lisaautumn.com

24. This look is so chic and classy! I am loving those gloves!

You look so cute!! Of course, the 50s is one of my favorite decades!

26. Love everything about this look. Thanks for posting.

27. Jacqueline says:

I love this look. So pretty and ladylike!

-Jacqueline