Casual Winter Outfit + Why I Don’t Like Traveling

LayersofChic Casual Winter Outfit nyc street styleLayersofChic Casual Winter Outfit blogger styleLayersofChic Casual Winter Outfit chicwish sweater

I’m just going to come out and say it guys, I don’t like traveling. I know that as a blogger, that might be shocking and even taboo to say, but it’s the truth. Ironically, based on my recent Instagram feed, you would think that I love traveling as I’ve been doing a lot of it lately. But it was actually all coincidence: I went to Hong Kong/Macau to visit my Dad for Chinese New Year, then Mexico City for my best friend’s bachelorette, and then LA for a blogger trip. I’ve never been more happy to be home in my Brooklyn apartment. Now I realize that traveling can definitely help with fresh content, who doesn’t like seeing a fabulous outfit in an exotic setting? But after weeks of doing it, I’ve really come to realize that it’s just not for me. I am a homebody at heart, and I crave the comfort and routine of being at home. Traveling makes me feel all out of sorts, and there is the added stress of bringing my entire wardrobe with me. As you guys have been following me for a while now, you know that my outfits are pretty complex, and I like to match everything down to my socks. So when I travel, I inevitably have to give up some of the smaller details of my outfits due to space constraints, and that kills me a little bit inside.
LayersofChic Casual Winter Outfit suede leggings LayersofChic Casual Winter Outfit fashion blogger style

When it comes down to it, I don’t feel like myself when I’m traveling. I feel anxious, stressed, and tired. As a blogger, there is the added pressure of feeling like I have to take photos when I am traveling, thus causing the entire experience to be unenjoyable. I feel like it’s a missed opportunity if I am traveling and not getting photos, but then I am stressed the entire trip to get good photos. So it’s really a lose-lose situation for me. I also don’t have the “wanderlust” gene, and am truly happiest when I’m at home working on my blog and living out my regular routine. So perhaps my view of the world is limited and I’m too focused on myself. When I was younger, I used to feel guilty or weird when I wasn’t enjoying a vacation and homesick, but I’ve come to accept that as part of who I am. I truly admire travel bloggers who do this for a living – it is seriously so stressful to me to be in a new place and have to worry about shooting great photos while also trying to “enjoy” yourself.

LayersofChic Casual Winter Outfit chunky sweater chicwishLayersofChic Casual Winter Outfit sweater and leggings LayersofChic Casual Winter Outfit nyc style blog

For this casual winter outfit, I paired a chunky turtleneck sweater from Chicwish with suede leggings from Lysse. This is the kind of look I would live in on my days off when I’m not shooting or have blog events. This sweater is so warm and cozy, and I love the pom pom detailing on it. These leggings are seriously super comfy and fit like a glove, plus the suede material make them perfect for Winter weather. I completed the outfit with lace-up combat boots, round sunglasses, and my Chloe Drew bag for a street style worthy look.

LayersofChic Casual Winter Outfit chicwish turtleneck sweaterLayersofChic Casual Winter Outfit nyc street style

I would love to hear your thoughts on travel in the comments below. Anyone a homebody like me?!

Sweater: Chicwish
Leggings: Lysse
Shoes: Mizmooz
Sunglasses: Gentle Monster
Bag: Chloe (more affordable option here)

*This post is in collaboration with Chicwish and Lysse. As always, all views and opinions expressed are my own.

22 responses to “Casual Winter Outfit + Why I Don’t Like Traveling”

1. I love your jumper! It’s so cute. And your photos are so dreamy.

It’s quite refreshing to hear someone say they don’t like travelling! I’m ok once I get there.. but the build up and the process of doing it makes me really anxious too and that take’s a while to leave me. So I almost don’t full enjoy myself when I’m away.

Being a homebody is my favourite thing to be ?

Laura ¦ http://www.laurahasablog.co.uk

2. Annie says:

Love the Chicwish sweater! The little pom texture is so amazing! I also love your Chloe bag. Such a perfect silhouette!
    xoxo
    Annie

3. Wow I totally resonate with you on why you don’t like traveling. I always want to travel more, yet I get those same feelings every time. Hope you don’t have any regrets, at the very least. Your photos are beautiful!

4. Nicole says:

Loved the post and I totally relate! I’m definitely a homebody and love routine too. Ever since I was little, I used to always get anxious about going somewhere out of the ordinary, even if it was just a day trip. Sometimes I feel like I’m the only 20 something who doesn’t have “wanderlust”. I love NYC so much, so I always get anxious or sad to leave. Once I’m on my trip, I always end up having fun, but I’m definitely not envious of bloggers who are constantly traveling. That lifestyle is just not for me.

5. Adrian says:

I’m a homebody as well. Traveling is appealing as a concept, but the amount of time/money it takes doesntvmake it realistic at this stage of my life. I’d rather stay home and save my money.

6. Dami Adeleye says:

I am a homebody as well but I derive pleasure in travelling and discovering new places.
    I love the sweater and the pompom details and the way you paired with deep blue colour denim.

7. nat says:

gorgeous outfit, love your jumper!

I feel the same when i’m traveling. i don’t dress like myself and it’s a huge missed opportunity for nice outfit shots, which is stressful. I feel you!!

xx

8. Such great styling, I love this outfit! Those boots are so cute, they are on my ‘to buy’ list!

I really enjoy traveling overall, but I’m not sure that I enjoy it as a blogger. You are right, it’s stressful and hard to enjoy being there when you are having to take photos for everything. Plus it’s hard to know what to wear! I do love this chunky sweater though 😉

10. Love this outfit! Super cute! I agree that traveling can definitely be draining!

-Jennifer

11. I wish I have the ability to make myself look as great as you!
    I mean we all have the capacity to learn but I really admire how you can look that awesome 🙂
    Many thanks for the ideas! And congratulations for your blog.

12. i love traveling, but i totally understand where you are coming from in terms of being in a routine and having everything accessible in your own home! that sweater is super cute though! i love the pink.

13. Heather says:

I love your honesty about preferring to be home. There’s nothing wrong with that! I love to travel, but love relaxing at home too. I grew too focused on getting blog content and pictures when I traveled (I felt like I was missing out on the experiences in front of me) so I set aside a few hours during a trip to focus on the blog/pictures, then only focus on the actual trip, exploring, people, etc the rest of the time. I keep a notebook to jot ideas at night so I can write when I get home. 🙂

14. First off, cute outfit! It looks great on you! Secondly, I do like to go out occasionally, but I am a homebody too! We don’t get a chance to travel often, so I can’t say whether I’m a traveler or not, but I do like being home!

15. Tuyet says:

I love traveling but I can see how it can be super stressful. my biggest thing is living out of a suitcase – i hate that! kimballandkedzie.com

16. Dina says:

Nice sweater & bag match!

17. whitney says:

Great pictures! The sweater is so cute!

18. Annie Cho says:

When I read the part that you have to match everything down to your socks and that it kills you a lil bit inside when you can’t I lol’d so hard! You are so funny and cute! Really love the sweater!!!
    xoxo
    Annie

19. Amanda says:

I feel the same way when i travel, but I still love traveling.

20. Holly says:

Adore that sweater! It’s interesting to read about someone who doesn’t enjoy traveling, since I feel like so many bloggers love it…While I definitely have that wanderlust gene you mentioned, I totally feel the stress of trying to take beautiful photos for the blog while also have fun and explore on a vacation. I’ve done it both ways, 1) not taking any photos on my trip for the blog, and totally regretting it (feeling like it was a missed opportunity for my platform at the cost of having some downtime that I probably could have done without) and 2) going overboard and taking a ridiculous amount of photos at the cost of looking like a psycho to everyone I’m traveling with…balance is a tricky, elusive thing!

21. Elise Ho says:

I just bought very similar aboots that I am excited to start wearing

22. Christianne says:

Your outfit looks cute! I love traveling, but the thing I hate about it is trying to stay in style and dressed for the weather because I’m not sure what to expect. I think, overtime, it becomes a learning process. I hope you would love it as much as I do!